Friday 5 June 2009

So far in 2009 ....

As noted in a previous post, I managed to get to the end of 2008 without any albums released that year troubling my ears. Thanks to a little application on my part I'm pleased to report that almost halfway through 2009 there are already a handful of albums that are making my daily commute more bearable.

As well as the latest releases from the New York Dolls and the Manic Street Preachers, Iggy Pop's french-jazz Preliminaires, the new Eels album, Hombre Lobo, and Jarvis Cocker's Further Complications have all succeeded where every album released in 2008 failed.

At this rate I'm on course for a year-end top 10.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I'm waiting patiently for my copy of the new Eels record to come in the mail. Those guys are always interesting. I've put the new Iggy on my list as well. I apparently have to wait for a Stateside release of the new Preachers.

I've always had mixed feelings about Cocker. What's it like?

DGW said...

I was a bit late getting to the Eels party - good thing is that I have a fair few albums to plough through!

Jarvis will always be a legend for his on-stage usurping of Michael Jackson at the Brits. This album was produced by Steve Albini and so has more of an edge than the last solo effort. I liked it more on 1st listen; thereafter the plays on words just got a little annoying!