Sunday 18 January 2009

LA Guns - London Marquee 21/12/91

This gig took place only a few months after Motley Crue played the same venue (billed as 'The Four Skins' which led to fans of the Oi! band of the same name to threaten to show up and literally flex their collective muscles).

Tickets for the Crue show sold out immediately - but they were in a different league to LA Guns, a fact that two poor girls perhaps didn't understand for when I wandered up to the box office about 15 minutes before it opened I found myself sixth in the queue - the two girls at the front had camped overnight expecting demand to be rather higher ....

Looking back this was definitely one of the best gigs I went to in that era - as a homecoming for Phil Lewis (both Girl and particularly Torme were Marquee regulars) it was always going to be a little bit special.

I saw them once more in 2001 (as referenced here), this time at the Camden Underworld. We drunkenly found ourselves down the front, high-fiving with the band and generally acting like teenagers. As cynical as I am about the albums that followed their excellent debut album I always seem strangely drawn to this band.

Past blogs:
LA Guns - self-titled
Faster Pussycat - self-titled

No comments: