Sunday 26 October 2008

Albums I still listen to 15/20 years on ...

This blog started off the back of a thread on Glitzinet, encouraging people to post their top-10 albums of all-time. I'm not that up on what's new on the scene, and any list I might have submitted is unlikely to have included anything post-1995.

I'm also incredibly bad at naming favourite bands/albums/songs, and when I finally tried to put a list together various memories came back to me that related to many of these albums. Hence, Glamrock Aftershock.

I still don't have a definitive list, and am unlikely ever to have one. However as a starting point here are 10 albums that I first heard between 1987 and 1992 that I still listen to today (and in many cases have re-bought on CD to replace well-worn or lost LPs). Don't read anything into the order (which is roughly speaking the order in which I first came across them). Some albums I've already blogged about, some are yet to feature.

Guns & Roses: Appetite For Destruction
The album that saved me from a descent into thrash before it got too serious (liking Metallica & Anthrax is one thing, but I've even found an Onslaught record in my collection - it could have got so much worse ...).

Hanoi Rocks: Back to Mystery City
The album where Razzle came on board and the final piece of the jigsaw fell into place. I know a lot of diehard fans favour the band's debut but this is the standout album for me (exception as below!).

The New York Dolls: self-titled
From the opening crash of cymbals and Thunders' ploughing the riff to 'Personality Crisis', right through to the finale of 'Jetboy' the Dolls' debut is a lesson in pure trash.

The Dogs D'Amour: In the Dynamite Jet Saloon
It may have taken them five years (and several line-ups) to reach the public eye but it was well worth the wait! Strange to find this is out-of-print - if there's a market for Soho Roses and Gunfire Dance collections (see below) then surely the Dogs D'Amour's back catalogue should still be available?

Hollywood Brats: self-titled
Had no idea who they were but trusted the guy at the record fair (Tony McCrory - responsible for many discoveries I could have missed).

The Jacobites: Robespierre's Velvet Basement
Another record fair purchase, and again I had no idea what to expect. Lo-fi production and the occasional Casio keyboard do not detract from the rest of the music.

Letters From London - Uncle Sam
Again, why on earth has this never been reissued? Rock's most famous milkmen deserve more!

Flies on Fire: self-titled
(Revival of) Creedence Clearwater Revival. Despite being on a major label, having Ric Browde at the helm and even bringing in Jo Dog, Flies on Fire remain obscure but their two albums are well worth the pittance they trade for.

Redd Kross: Third Eye
KISS meets the Beatles. 'Nuff said.

Motorcycle Boy: Popsicle
Dragged kicking & screaming into the studio by Sylvain Sylvain, arguably the forgotten hero of the Dolls gets his name onto another great rock & roll album.


Honorary mentions (as they're not strictly 'albums'):

Soho Roses: Whatever Happened To... The Complete Works
Collection of their 2 EPs and album. A fine band who I managed to see once (an MTV Xmas show at the Astoria along with Last of The Teenage Idols and Tigertailz). My band at the time desperately wanted to be a mix of Soho Roses and Hollywood Brats. We didn't quite pull it off but we had fun trying.

Gunfire Dance: Archway of Thorns
Another post-career collection. Taking their cues from Iggy, Brian James and Stiv Bators Gunfire Dance always seemed on the verge of something - and then went no further. RIP Ant.

Hanoi Rocks: Self Destruction Blues
The best Hanoi album, but as it's a collection of b-sides and out-takes I thought it only right it should be down here!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

alright me old slazzer.

Just thought that you might want to know that I posted a link to this on SMF and we are having a bit of a chat about your selections. Pop in why don't you.

http://www.swindonmusic.co.uk/forum/view/3065/0/#32409

DGW said...

Aha, good to see Redd Kross, Pursuit of Happiness and Jellyfish all being discussed!

MarkEMoon said...

This is a great discussion thread which has sparked a fair few comments on the Swindon Music Forums, It's also lead to me finally replacing my worn cassette version of "Third Eye" by the mighty Redd Kross, dusting down my copy of "Bellybutton" by Jellyfish and being introduced to the quite frankly great sound of Gunfire Dance.

DGW said...

The world of Jellyfish and Redd Kross needs expanding upon sometime - into the likes of the Umajets, Imperial Drag and Matthew Sweet. Will get scribbling ....

Great to hear some old sounds being dusted down and revisited. Another commentor (or commentator?) mentioned 'Neurotica' not so long ago and I really do need to get hold of a CD of that as I've only got it on LP (and no turntable ...).

Sam said...

Its not often I see Tigertailz get mentioned. There was a time I went to nearly all their gigs at the old Marquee - them and Wolfsbane.

Discovered this Blog Googling for UnderNeathWhat. I still listen to their What Is It album at least once a month. I even wrote to Andrew Berenyi to find out what he was up to a few years back.

beckamoon said...

(er... this is Mauro in case you're confused!)

...talking of Kiss meets Beatles, surely no one has ever sounded as much like Paul Stanley as the bit on "1976", at 1:34 in particular - for a while I thought it actually was the man himself, but apparently it was the guitarist, who was just ridiculously good at Paul Stanley impressions! Bet they all got him to do it at parties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ33topAX-Q