Tuesday 30 December 2008

Primal Scream - self-titled

Glam? Not exactly - but nestling inbetween their jangly, Birds-esque debut Sonic Flower Groove (pleasant enough but far from outstanding) and the Mercury award winning Screamadelica (the classic indie/dance crossover album), Bobby Gillespie and co. put out Primal Scream .

Split roughly 50/50 between trashy rock & roll featuring the best riffs that Johnny Thunders failed to use, and what could almost be out-takes from Big Star's Third album, this was Primal Scream's first attempt at dorning low-slung Les Pauls, later explored in greater depth (and with longer guitar straps) on the more Stones-esque Give Out But Don't Give Up.

Gillespie's voice occasionally lets him down, a feature that has affected much of Primal Scream's output. Oddly on perhaps the album's most challenging track, I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have, he more than holds his own. It is this track that gave the band their breakthrough when remixed and released as 'Loaded' (the title surely taken from the Velvet Underground album of the same name, as the track's main refrain is very similar to Oh! Sweet Nuthin').

5 comments:

Michael said...

I dug this album out of a used record store bin just a few weeks ago. I find Gillespie's vocal inadequacies when it comes to loud rock quite charming, actually. And this is TONS better than Give Up.

Mark E Moon said...

The hidden treasure in Primal Scream's back catalogue, I have a great deal of time for Bobby and his band of merry men but a real soft spot for this album, "Ivy Ivy Ivy" was the first thing I ever heard by the band back in '89 which lead me to this album, Bobby has never been the best of singers but it kinda adds to the charm.

Mark E Moon said...

I also thought, and still think that "Loaded" was nowhere near as good as the original "I'm Losing More Than I'll Ever Have" which remains my favourite Primal Scream track (yep even better than "Velocity Girl"

DGW said...

Ah, now, 'Velocity Girl' .... never actually heard it but aren't there suggestions that the Stone Roses certainly did as it bears some resemblence to 'Made Of Stone'?

I should also take this opportunity to thank Mr Moon for reminding me about this album!

Mark E Moon said...

"Velocity Girl" was the b-side to the bands second single "Crystal Crescent" in mid 1986, The Stone Roses did half inch it's melody for "Made of Stone" (ironic that Mani went onto join the Scream years later).

One of the great things about this blog is the fact that I've been reminded of some great bands and turned onto others.