Tuesday 25 May 2010

If the Face doesn't fit ..

I can hardly bring myself to type this but ... Mick Hucknall to front a reformed Faces???

When Hanoi Rocks reformed most of my friends didn't have any issue with the absence of Sami & Nasty. Although Andy & Mike were physically only 40% of the band it was taken as read that their importance within it was at least double that.

Their attitude was quite different when the New York Dolls returned for the Meltdown Festival, even though they did at least pitch up with all the surviving members. I think it was the absence of Johnny Thunders that bugged most; early rumours that Izzy Stradlin was taking his place weren't even sufficient to encourage many people I know to pick up tickets. The subsequent passing of Arthur Kane had definitely led to some retrospective regret.

But The Faces without Rod Stewart? And not only that, but with the singer from Simply Red taking his place? I dare say that in musician circles he's a highly rated vocalist but I can't see too many die-hards showing up for this.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I have to admit, I'm skeptical. But Mac is really bullish on this lineup (see this Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/#/news/faces-with-simply-red-s-mick-hucknall-planning-1004094238.story?tag=hpfeed), and I trust his vision. We'll have to wait and see if Hucknall really can rock as hard as Mac claims. We should give them the benefit of the doubt, I think. Though Heaven help 'em if Hucknall doesn't live up to expectations!

Frankly, considering that Stewart doesn't seem to care about the Faces and, as Mac has pointed out in previous interviews, hasn't really sung rock & roll in a decade, at least, I'm not sure if it would have turned out any better with Rod the Mod back in the saddle.

DGW said...

I know, and it's all well and good that the rest of the band are keen to throw plaudits at the guy but ... it's Mick Hucknall! From Simply Red!

That said he may or may not have been at one of the Sex Pistols Manchester shows at the Free Trade Hall in 1976 where the legend goes that even though the audience numbers were low, the proportion of that audience that went on to form significant bands was high (Buzzcocks, Magazine, the Smiths, Joy Division, New Order, the Fall) and so perhaps he's just reclaiming credibility from 30+ years ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Trade_Hall