Wednesday 21 January 2009

Killer Dolls - Devil Sounds A-Go-Go

Hurrah for the surprises that charity shops can throw up. I recently picked this up on CD after noticing it was produced by Jeff Dahl, and expecting it to be sound along the lines of, say, the Detroit Cobras.

I was wrong, and pleasantly so.

This is a much punkier, trashier album than I was anticipating; if it reminded me of anything it was very early Goo Goo Dolls, but considerably more lo-fi - Dahl's 'production' duties seemingly having consisted of little more than pressing 'record' and then 'stop' again approximately two minutes later.

A little bit of research has shed very little light on the Killer Dolls, other than they're Argentinian, and this would appear to be their only album. It's not easily available either, so I'm surprised a copy turned up in a branch of Oxfam in Cambridge (left behind by a South American student perhaps?).

Opener Runaway did direct me though to an interesting looking compilation called 3 Minute Heroes, a collection that features a few bands I know (eg The Super Bees) and plenty that I don't but that have names which, if sometimes a little predictable, suggest they could be worth a listen (eg Streetwalkin' Cheetas, The Riffs, and the East Side Suicides). So £1.99 spent on a CD by a band I've never heard of points me in the direction of 30 others.

That, like the hokey cokey, is what it's all about.

2 comments:

Michael said...

The Streetwalkin' Cheetahs were fantastic - I heartily recommend anything you can find of theirs.

The East Side Suicides hailed from here in Austin. I saw them once in what turned out to be one of their last shows - they were always a volatile bunch. The singer now leads a band called the Flash Boys and is even more unhinged than before.

I'll have to check out the Killer Dolls sometime.

Anonymous said...

Besides this album, they also have two 7" eps ("Kill City Lovers" and "Rock'n'Roll Religion"), and a split album with Brazil's Forgotten Boys. I believe the singer lives in Detroit now. The other members have a surf band called The Tormentos, down in Argentina.