Sunday 15 March 2009

Royal Court of China - Geared And Primed

This blog has been a good excuse to go through my collection and see what's been gathering dust. The Royal Court of China were mentioned in the thread on the Swindon music forum that emerged from this blog and so I found myself in the loft rummaging through boxes of tapes to see if I still had anything by them.

I was first exposed to the Royal Court Of China were some older guy brought their Geared & Primed album up to the counter in the record shop I worked in and asked to listen to it 'on the cans'. I dismissed the guy as thinking he was much cooler than he really was, that he should immediately stop using words like 'cans' and that he had no idea what this band was about.

He proceeded to buy it, making comparisons to Georgia Satellites. My opinion shifted slightly and he started to become more credible. He then said he wanted to buy the Simpsons album and those gains were lost. Until ... 'Because my old mate Davey Jo's on it' he said. Eh? Surely he doesn't mean? And he did. And the worst thing is I can't for the life of me remember how/why he knew David Johansen (who under his Buster Poindexter alter-ego duets with Bart on Chuck Berry's School Days).

I haven't got round to playing the tape yet (limited access to a tape deck doesn't help), but if a friend of David Johansen rates it and says it sounds like the Georgia Satellites then what more do you need to know?

2 comments:

Michael said...

I recently gave this CD a listen myself, after not having heard it in years. I'd argue it sounds less like the Georgia Satellites than it does an American South version of the Dogs D'amour. Which is totally different from their prior self-titled album, on which they tried half-heartedly to sound like jangle poppers like R.E.M.

It's not genius, but it's got some good songs on it. "Six Empty Bottles" is a drunk classic: "I've got six empty bottles of Tequila, and I'm thinkin' of you/Not too clearly at the moment."

Christina said...

I've had Geared & Primed since high school, and always wondered why they weren't hotter than they were. I could listen to "Six Empty Bottles" on repeat (ok, I HAVE listened to it on repeat). I really like the whole album, and am kinda bummed that I had to go through two pages on Google before finding any mention of the song/album/band. ;)
Cheers and here's to good music! ~ cc