Wednesday 11 March 2009

Your must have, ultra-essential glam release ...

Nice little thread over on Glitzinet - name "the album, whatever, that you feel is an essential MUST HAVE of the genre ... that one release that we all feel is the "must have", the CD that when you go into somebodies house who claims to be into the style, if they don't have it, you almost faint."

"Easy" you might say .... but then think again. As there had already been a few answers I had a brief inclination to say something different. I toyed with Appetite For Destruction, as that was the album that kick-started things for me and moved me away from Metallica and Anthrax, but as good as it is it's not THE album. Too many flaws, particularly much of side two.

Soho Roses nearly got a look in for 'The Third And Final Insult', the album that my band at the time attempted to imitate (and almost got there in that we apparently sounded like the Buzzcocks). Then there's the Hollywood Brats - I can still remember my excitement when I first got that LP home and on my turntable.

But in the end it came down to the debut album by The New York Dolls. It wins almost by virtue of the opening chord and cymbal crash on Personality Crisis alone.

Voice your comments and nominations here.


1 comment:

Michael said...

I cheated. On the Glitzine thread, I went with, as instructed, the first album that came to mind, which was the NY Dolls' debut, as you chose.

But on the Sonic Ruin MySpace site, I went with the album that, after giving it some serious thought, best gave an all-round representation of what I think of as glam (which is based on the 70s). And that one's David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.

Basically the Dolls record is the one I'd take with me to a desert island and the Bowie record is the one I'd hand to a space alien to explain what glam is.