Thursday 25 March 2010

Enuff Z'nuff - Bristol Bierkeller 25/03/90

On coming to write about this show it dawned on me that my attendance played a significant role in shaping my future that I'd always attributed to a later gig at the same venue (The Lovejetz on October 14th, 1990).

For it was at the Lovejetz gig that the initial connection was made between my group of friends and my now-wife's (we didn't actually meet that night, and it was another two years before we first got together).

However, if I hadn't gone along to see Enuff Z'Nuff six months previously I wouldn't have met the person who told me about the Lovejetz gig and it's unlikely that I would have gone along otherwise.

At it was I only went along to show off my freshly dyed purple hair (as per photo, taken at a service station that very evening). 'New Thing' used to drive me mad with its whining vocal melody and I'd never managed to get beyond that. In subsequent years I've been told several times that I might like Enuff Z'Nuff's later albums (I was surprised so many existed), with comparisons to the likes of Jellyfish being mooted. In light of the realisation that they played such a key part in my life I've recently spent a little time over on Spotify going through their back catalogue (hell, I even have a playlist on the go - hardly comprehensive I admit. And I'm still not keen on 'New Thing' btw).

Twenty years ago though I spent the evening playing pool. I did however come away with Chip Z'Nuff's autograph (to 'Mr Purple' no less). I probably should have paid a lot more attention to the band but hey, my hair did look great ....

1 comment:

Neil A said...

Truly amazing band. I much prefer their later stuff, i.e. 'Tweaked', 'Paraphernalia', and 'Seven'. Criminally under-rated like most cool bands in fact - The Front, Saigon Kick, Kik Tracee, Beautiful Creatures et al. Rock on...and thanks for following my metal blog.